August
20, 2012
Today's
update is a week late...sorry about that...I'll explain...I was busy
helping mom catalog her paintings...and the process is almost
complete...I also have been unwell again...I went to the doctor on
Friday and he put me on light duty...after reorganizing the Art
Studio last weekend...and from moving my new bed into my room a month
ago...I have been in pain...the doctor is hoping that I did not do
any permanent damage because I kept my activity level normal ...it
just seemed logical to me to keep moving because I felt worse from
stiffening up if I didn't...Now I have to sit to do laundry, dishes
and the cooking... It is strange...but chores do not finish
themselves...I am not allowed to lift more than 10 lbs. And if I have
to bend to get something...I also have to sit to do it...Doctor's
orders.. With that said...
I
transformed our Art Studio last weekend..it seemed strange to me that
this room was hardly being used... When we first moved in we
basically just arranged our supply bins around the design table... we
used the table for putting puzzles together but have not really been
using the space since we put together the last one.
After
I was done with my room, and organizing my crafting supplies, I then
had the problem of storing all my tools and such, within easy
reach...I needed my design table.
I
moved one large bin to the living/dining space to use as a table
surface for cataloging mom's paintings and then placed the design
table in its prior, occupied space in the Art Studio.....overlooking
the back deck...the natural light is great
during the day...and fortunately...there was an already existing hook
in the ceiling where I could hang the task light lamp from, so that
it would be up off the table and out of the way... freeing up more
space on the table itself for placement of tool containers...
I
placed two containers on mom's watercolor books; to add a punch of
color and for inspiration; and placed the rest, in a row along the top
of the table. Putting them all within easy reach. With a bit of much
needed reorganization and a few personal touches, I now have my table back...
Back
in January when we first moved in we never really discussed how the
space would be immediately utilized, by either of us... We just
wanted to get everything moved in... and Mom has been so wrapped up
in her internet gaming, that she has not been painting...
I
on the other hand, have been busy, crafting... because my internet
gaming habits, had become quite obsessive...which for me, can be a
sign of relapse for my disability... Mom is always on us kids for
doing things in moderation...but I guess the old adage still goes, do
as I say and not as I do...LOL...In my defense, I have attempted on
many occasions to get her away from the computer to begin painting
again and she is simply currently not interested...
At
that time, we did put together 2 of her shelving units left over from
her craft fair days,
that now house... her boxes of paints and brushes... smaller
paintings inside deep, plastic containers, as well as her enormous
DMC floss collection and smaller recipe books... Her remaining basket
collection, and hair dryer [that she uses for her paintings] round
out what's stored on the shelves...
There
used to be 2 small cardboard boxes filled with odd miscellany that I
pulled out, separated by hers and mine and artfully reorganized into
an old soup and coffee can, as well as into a couple of the baskets
from her collection. Below is the result:
![]() |
| ©PDBKNCPLACE |
There
are also several of mom's practice brush strokes pieces that I placed
in one slot of the tool tray that is attached to the table on the
left.. [not pictured]. These I use to visually stimulate my senses
because the colors are, of course, all pinks and purples...LOL. This
tool tray also holds my Derwent Graphic Pencil Set and my Fountain
Pen set...as well as other mechanical pencils and pens I am currently
using...
I
keep a roll of paper towels on the desk close at hand, for any messes
that occur, and a bottle of cleaner hangs from the table edge over
the side of one of the tray slots. The only thing I never liked about
this table is the surface itself is extremely porous and holds every
nick, mark, scrape and chip...and they are all clearly visible,
making it extremely difficult to keep it free from debris and general
accidental swipes of any pens, pencils or other tools.
My
favorite idea that I incorporated into the space was the use of my
Ocean Breeze scented candle surrounded by craft rocks in one of the
baskets [pictured on the left]. They
were both dollar store buys so it was affordable to give myself a bit
of the Atlantic in my Studio without traveling the 300 miles to the
coast...and its here... everyday.
The rocks were purchased during a
rather bittersweet time in my life and they evoke good memories of
that time...I use them now to remind me of the happiness I felt
during those days. And yes one day, I hope to make it to the coast, I
have yet to see either ocean...
I
have no car... I rely on a friend who takes me to town a few times a
month, to pick up needed supplies. We also shop online and through
catalogs. Helps for when you need just that one item that may be
needed in between trips...like a mini-blind or a couple of new
serving dishes.
All
in all, I am enjoying the new reconfiguration of the Art Studio. It
suits me well. The natural light that comes in from the north and
west walls is perfect for me to get my daily dosage of sunshine [when it is shining] to help me with my vitamin B deficiency. Natural
sunlight, even 10 minutes a day... helps me get that much needed
dose.
The
view outside is generally nature at its finest. Yesterday, there was
a beautiful fawn and white hawk that was sitting perched on the light
post at the end of the driveway.
I
was afraid to move to take a video, because he/she was looking right
at me and I was selfish and didn't want to ruin the moment... I am
hoping it comes back...
Chicken-hawks
and buzzards usually circle along the highway just north of here,
where my road meets it. And
they sometimes pass over the densely wooded area behind the house.
There is a lot-wide tree-line out front, made up of evergreens, that
the ravens and crows hide in whenever the hawks are on the hunt.
My
view also includes our side door and deck. I currently have one bush
protruding up from under the deck that my friend tells me is
poisonous to small animals, so I am going to trim it tomorrow, that
way, Valiant, our schnauzer, [the only remaining dog we have
now...Precious, passed away a few weeks ago, from old age] wont be in
any danger...he loves to chew the sweet grass.... LOL.
Last
week I ordered the Fall 2012, issue of the Cloth.Paper.Scissors
“Studios” Magazine...to help give me an idea for turning my
bedroom into a partial sewing/craft nook too... I looked at the ones
showcased and reminded myself time and again that if those artists
could get the space they needed, I could too...
I
have already decided that I will be purchasing some IKEA shelving
units because they give the minimalist look I am hoping to achieve in
two areas of the house... I plan to put one in the sewing nook and one in
the Art Studio where the ironing station currently is...the shelving
unit would fit in that space perfectly and I will move the ironing
station to my room...
I
discovered two apps from Google Chrome Store that I am currently
using to help me design the sewing nook space.. The first is called
Mydeco 3D Planner and the second is called Autodesk Homestyler.
I
have entered in my room dimensions and used the templates for the
doors and windows to recreate my room in 3D and have played with
several other functions to give me an idea of how my room will look
when complete. Very useful tools.
I
have completed the top row of my afghan... It is a row of all mauve
squares...21 columns across...I am already at work on the 3rd
row too...
I
will post another update, I hope by Wednesday, to make up for last
weeks tardiness...and the lateness of this post...
A
shot of the completed row is below. I bunched it up to get the
squares in the shot...and the pink background is my new set of
embroidered sheets that arrived last week...I love them.
![]() |
| ©PDBKNCPLACE |
Though
I spent most of last week, cataloging art, and reorganizing the Art
Studio...some progress was made...and is continuing...
My
reflection time has been limited recently because I have felt a surge
of energy as I know summer is coming to a close...School begins here
on Wednesday... and the two buses that visit my block twice daily,
will be back on schedule...
As
ever, I hope your universe this summer has been as pleasant for you
as it was for me. As energizing, relaxing, lazy, sweet, cool, warm
and as bright and colorful as you hoped it would be!
Bring
on fall!





4 comments:
You've been a busy gal. Lucky for you, you did get the time to work on something.
Sounds like the perfect space for you, I hope you enjoy it!
Sara,
Yes, I usually am! I try anyway...and now the art room is reorganized and useful, the art itself is all cataloged and stored and I got some me time! I wanted to thank you for being the one to inspire me to join YOP...though I hope to be a better participant....I am having fun! And I wanted to let you know that I enjoyed very much your cross posting with Kathryn Vercillo...I didn't get a chance to let you know that yet...it was enlightening and very interested reading...thank you for stopping by and for your words of encouragement...
Emma, I am enjoying the art room more...especially now that the kittens are here to play in there as I am working on things...they are such wonderful beings and I am enjoying their mere presence...it helps when my kids are so far away! I thank you for your kind comments and for stopping by on this day! I also hope you have a good rest of the day or evening whichever the case may be!
Post a Comment