Powered By Blogger

Translate

50 Book Challenge from Library Thing!!



08/06/12
©PDBKNCPLACE
Here is a shot of my progress this week. It isn't much but it's a start. One width-wise Row of 21 columns beginning with the top left of the pattern [which I will provide below]. It will be a pattern shot of what the squares should look like as a completed bedspread/afghan. The pieces pictured here include the end pieces of the solid mauve border, only the top and bottom Rows of the mauve squares will be done as one solid strip....here is the beginning of that...finished less than an hour ago...



The entire bedspread/afghan is based upon the Trip Around the World quilt pattern with my own design of a double column of checkerboard white and eggplant granny squares surrounding the middle of the pattern, and will be bordered completely by the mauve granny squares.

 I have made the size of this piece larger than most would because I sleep in a queen-sized bed and like to wrap myself as much as possible..as I easily get cold at night.

I know, for some of you, the fact that this afghan is actually my first crochet project, may come as a surprise...but having been a knitter; and done needlepoint and cross-stitch since childhood...I did not find this daunting in the least...

While attending online university and technical school from '07-'11; this particular project was the only one, at that time, that I got done. Quick and easy granny squares.

Though many of the squares are currently complete, with the new modifications I added to the pattern, I have more to make....and they are still very easy and quick to make up. At the height of my creative zest, I could finish each one in about 25 minutes, since I have not done any in a while, I doubt I will be able to replicate that...and no, I am not a fast crocheter at all. I put the project away as I was unsure of how to piece them together. Then YouTube came along....I watched a couple videos, sure, but did not attempt to do anything about it until last week. Mom quickly showed me the best way to sew them together using a tapestry needle and yarn...

Within minutes I had several done, and since I had already used my downloaded free copy of the Quilt Assistant program [available here] http://www.cosman.nl/software_en.html
to create my pattern, I simply followed it to piece together the first Row [width-wise of the middle section ] and just tonight began the top Row of the mauve border.


©PDBKNCPLACE
Back when I began this project, I had no idea what the different yarn weights actually meant to a finished project...all of my prior knitting projects were basic scarves or multi-colorway hats. [I never really paid attention to the weights...I'd just choose a simple pattern; based on level of knitting, and yarns; based on color(s)]. So when mom told me that since I chose two worsted-medium weight yarns [eggplant and white] and sport weight [mauve], baby yarn; my finished squares would be differently sized...and she is absolutely correct...they are.


But it was only after I had the majority of all of them done, that I became aware of this fact.

I was disappointed, of course, at first; but did not panic; and now realize with the completion of the first strip that I am fortunate because the mauve squares; which are smaller, are stretching to accommodate. This is fine by me...I am ok with that...you live and learn.

Better still is that without realizing I had, each yarn I chose were no dye lot yarns and are easily replaceable if I need more yarn...No, I still have no clue how much I really need to finish...as this project was not created by measurements...just strips that would complete my envisioned combination TATW and checkerboard patterns, with 21 x 21 Rows and Columns, being the number that it ended as.

I find this is the perfect size to generously accommodate my overnight cocooning needs...so I am happy with it...

Flexibility is crucial when working on any project....[along with a good sense of humor too...but hey, who better to laugh at you than yourself] because we each learn as we go...as long as we can either make it work for us, and learn for future reference for any mistakes made....our future projects will be a success as well.

I find this to be in direct correlation to anything in life. If you learn to not be so hard on yourself, while maintaining flexibility, it will be a cinch to absorb or rethink any problem you face at any time. Allowing you the leverage you need to pick yourself up, and move forward to working a solution.

I would like to thank the creators of the Quilt Assistant software, for making the download free...I only use it to build simple patterns and save them on my computer...but they are my own original designs. I have not tried the other possibilities of this program yet but would like to give you a bit of advice...if you choose to download this product, please be certain you also download the manual for it; available in .pdf format. Using this program has allowed me to create and preview the EXACT look I wanted for my dream bedspread back in 2007...when I was so stuck on purple....[I am still sometimes]. My next one, however, will definitely be PINK....I am thoroughly tickled!



As ever may your universe find you well within it!!!!

Pink Diva Brat


8 comments:

Minding My Own Stitches said...

I find the patterns that are just in my head hardest of all - maybe because the details are so clear and specific? I struggle to get my work to match my expectations.

Lucky you picked no-dyelot yarns! Interesting about the quilting software. Thanks for the link!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your blanket! I think a blanket is a perfect early crochet project as it's so easy to learn as you go along.

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

It sounds like you've learned a lot from this project. I'm sure the final project will be lovely, and you will have it as a reminder of all the things you learned while making it, too.

Emma (GirlAnachronismE) said...

The blanket is looking great so far, and it seems like you've learnt a lot. I don't think dye lots are as important in a blanket, so Im sure you'll be fine!

Unknown said...

Minding My Own,

I have visions of patterns that are constructed right, but translating that onto paper is often hard...for the best of us...and yes, details that are clear and specific and seeing them as they should be are often quite terrifying to me, to try to replicate...considering it has to also be good enough for others to replicate too...Quite daunting really....and always a struggle...but that is what designing does....getting the vision out of our minds and into the hands of others to enjoy too...yes, I was lucky about choosing no dye lots...funny thing is though I had no clue what the difference was, truly, I just chose them based on colors I liked....And as for that quiliting software, I have had it for sometime...but only use it when planning something square...thanks for taking the time to drop by, and for your kind words, I hope you have a good day!

Unknown said...

goodpurl,

thanks much for your kind wishes on my blanket, sadly it is going slower now that I am focusing on Xmas and birthday gifts...I am also having to make new squares since I enlarged the original size to include 6 extra rows and 6 extra colums...Blankets are easy, depending on the blanket...I am reminded of the "BEASTGHAN" in my own, but only because of its size and amount of work required to finish...no I probably won't block it...I think it will serve its purpose as is...I am not gifting it...if I were, then I'd attempt to block it...thanks for stopping by, and I appreciate your comments...have a great day!

Unknown said...

Marie/UC,

I am learning a lot, I'm already looking forward to wrapping up in it...and yes, I truly enjoy knowing that every stitch has been worth it...I would like to ask you to contact me via email...I have a few questions for you that I am hoping you can answer for me...I am interested in knowing something about a crochet pattern...you can also find me on Ravelry @kiko502...will also stop by your blog to leave you a msg...thank you for your comments and for dropping by on this day...I am glad my commenting issues are cleared up now!...have a great day!

Unknown said...

Emma,

I am just glad I know the difference between them now, and still think its ironic that I chose them as no dye without knowing what the difference means...but am still glad I did...thanks for stopping off through your visits on this day...and for all your help with my comment issues again...I am now able to move forward...and particpate properly!