Powered By Blogger

Translate

50 Book Challenge from Library Thing!!

Caught Up!



August 25, 2012 – CAUGHT UP!

As promised I have another update for you before the new week begins tomorrow…I had hoped to have it for you by Wednesday, but sadly my computer issues that have plagued me for weeks did not finish getting cleared up until about an hour ago.

I had to reformat my hard drive, last Tuesday, and have spent the days since, on the phone, with tech support for my machine; due to a corrupted file somewhere on it…and I am happy with the result…my machine is practically brand new…and yes, my files were backed up and are now fully restored.

One thing I’ve noticed, since trying to catch up on some of the blogs in this group, is the amount of productivity coming from so many of you. I wish could say I have this kind of project completion proficiency…but I am sadly lacking in this department for several reasons.

Many things I have not expected have been cropping up for me recently, whether personal issues or computer issues or just things I have had to finish for others…and I do have to do them all, while still fitting in the things I do myself…it isn’t easy, but I try my best…

Although, I haven’t gotten much done with the Blog-A-Long compared to so many, I am still comfortable with the fact that I am determined to do as much as possible. I am aware of any limitations I feel, and usually switch gears in order to work through any problems, until I feel ready to go back, and tackle it in a new way…

I spend a lot of time researching things; things that I find either interesting, organizationally improving, or necessary to conduct personal business.

I have joined a new group for users of the program EVERNOTE; on Ravelry; to take up the challenge of learning the program to create a paperless environment in my home…

I am a list maker and have scraps everywhere…When online, I also take notes in my Evernote notebook, and need to consolidate the physical with the virtual…this is so I can use my computer to track it all, and keep it backed up so I no longer have one of the problems I just finished dealing with last week. 
The group on Ravelry can be found here.

One of the things I also do, if on the phone waiting for someone to pick up; is sketch. Little odds and ends that help open up my creative flow, as I wait for a response on the other end…I can usually complete a good sketch if waiting long enough. I used to throw these sketches away; but am now saving them. I will get them posted soon…

And then there are the bad days everyone experiences from time to time…unfortunately for me last week; I had a couple of those mixed in with the computer issues, making it more difficult to complete the task at hand.

I spent a lot of time waiting on the phone. I would have crocheted, but found when I tried, could not focus when the tech explained something, so I sketched instead; in between; and reflected on how to better handle these certain situations, should they arise for me again.

Doing this actually bolstered my thinking about the negativity I was currently encountering; and helped me realize that I can only do what I can do….and nothing more; I was not born with more than one brain, or 8 arms, to do it all, and sometimes you just have to take the hit like a champ, grit your teeth…and muddle through.

So I felt better about completing the one row of crochet that I did get done, because through it all, I had to finish a LOT of other stuff, just to get back to square one.

Here is a pic of Rows 1, 2, and 4 that are complete…and a shot of the pieces of Row 3 that I am currently working on today.
©PDBKNCPLACE
©PDBKNCPLACE
















I had to stop to make more mauve squares last night too, so yeah, I’m ok with not getting far…considering…though it does still bug me….lol…

I admit, also, to feeling a bit frustrated lately, simply because I do not have the tools, that I WANT; to put the next project “on the stix”; Yung’s beret. I did, however, swatch it, for the different yarn previously pictured and size needle, but did not like the result.

So I am once again, changing the yarn, this time to fingering weight, found, on sale, at KnitPicks...so when I place my order on Friday of next week, I should have everything ready for it to go, by the following Tuesday or Wednesday.

In my latest look at the KnitPicks site, I got the basic idea that my new budget would definitely have me spending more than $100.00 for my initial order, and since this is a substantial amount for me to spend at one time, I have spent the time since, budgeting in the full cost…and waiting.

This way I ensure that I am comfortable once again, attempting Yung’s beret as it was MEANT to be attempted the first time. I do not want to run into any more “redo’s” that will stop the progress…so I am making sure, all accessories needed to finish the job are taken care of…Here is a list of the necessary items still needed:
  • ·         US – Size 3 circs – comes with set buying
  • ·         US – Size 3 DPN’s - separate purchase
  • ·         24” cable length – comes with set buying
  • ·         Locking stitch markers – I already have some plastic O-rings
  • ·         1 skein of fingering weight yarn – I have decided to go with Stroll Tonal Sock Yarn – in colorway named Queen Anne that adequately substitutes for the Koigu “Painter’s Palette” from KnitPicks.
  • ·         All other accessories necessary to finish completing the set I’m buying

This brings my total purchase to roughly $150.00, which I should have next week. I hope to get a reduction in my shipping costs, as well, since I plan to call in the order and ask if I qualify, it will be, after all, my first purchase…

I have waited 5 long years to choose the interchangeable set…because my budget has had to grow slowly and accommodate for the changes to it. The Interchangeable set I have chosen, is the new one introduced last month, called Sunstruck.

With the changes in the plan, budget wise, I will have any questions I need answered by a rep beforehand, and will finally make my purchase.

In the meantime, I continue to make and sew together the granny squares.

UPDATE ON THE FORTY FIVE BY 45 LIST

I am determined to complete at least 3 of the 5 from my 45 list by the end of next month, as promised…

#6 – I am in the process of continued participation in the Come Blog-A-Long group on Ravelry…I thoroughly enjoy seeing all the progress being made. #6, in process!

#7 – Update my blog’s design, again…#7 done!

#8 – Finish Yung’s beret. As stated this is taking longer due to not having the necessary tools to do the job right…I will have this rectified by next week, I hope…#8…in process!

#9 – Buy the Sunstruck Interchangeable Needle Set, along with all necessary accessories, to complete #8, from KnitPicks…#9…in process!

#10 – Complete one downloaded sewing course that fits into my busy schedule.

I have already begun #10 by spending about 3 hours reading my sewing machine manual a couple days ago. I familiarized myself with the different part names, locations, and carefully inspected the illustrations to be able to recognize the difference between them. 

I went through the definitions of all of the stitches, and different ways they may be utilized, and when. It was fun imagining how the machine would actually do it all…and yes, I do plan to trial run everything again, first, before any more sewing takes place.

I also got myself familiar with how to clean the machine, in the proper locations, because I plan to do so. The machine has been dormant and stored for more than 10 years…I have now learned, that attempting to use it already, was actually a bad idea, since it has not been cleaned, since its last official use. Live and learn. The instructions and illustrations were clear enough and correct enough to give me insights into what I can expect from actual conditions…

Learning how to thread the machine will be the one part of the manual that I will need to reference again and again during the initial stages of actual use…I am quite comfortable knowing it will be at the ready…And yes, I do realize that everyone and every machine is different, and that there will be variables in play, that the manual won’t be able to warn me of, so I am glad there will be help available at Craftsy.com.

And yes, I will also keep a note journal for the sewing courses I take….for personal extra reference. I also plan to keep the videos up and available, on my computer, as much as possible. #10…in process!

The buses for school have run, since Wednesday, for the first time this school year. Hearing the familiar rumble of the engines, and the squeal of the braking system as it stops and goes along my road, has been comforting. 

I also spent some of my downtime before the computer crash, surfing the web and catching up on blogs I follow. [I usually do this, early in the morning, with my first cup ‘o Joe].

Two short side-notes, I began using Ravelry’s projects feature. I hope to spend some more time there soon, adding to it. And I finally purchased a tripod for my digital camera, come back soon to hear details about my first attempt at making a video!

While I may worry that my production level is not up to snuff compared to others, it has definitely been reassuring to see, and know; that many others like me, are getting their projects done!

May your universe always be filled with projects to complete and as ever, plenty of time in which to do them!

See you all soon!

Pink Diva Brat

7 comments:

Emma (GirlAnachronismE) said...

It sounds like you've done a lot to me, I wouldn't be ashamed that people have knitted or crocheted more than you, you've spent you time doing other things

Unknown said...

Your list is impressive..it contains a few things that I need to do, or would like to do, but budget also keeps me from them..just yet..especially the interchangable needle set..that has been on my list for a while..

I would love to sew..love it..but I know that I am a inx when it comes to machines..best I stay away.

I hope things are back on track for you and all goes well in the next week!

Emma (GirlAnachronismE) said...

This is a test to see if I can reply!

Unknown said...

this is a test to see if I can reply...

Unknown said...

Emma,

Just wanted you to know that I think I solved my commenting problem, I went to the Blogger help pages...discovered I am not the only one with the problem...I had to reenable third party cookies...Now I can post to my own blog...hopefully this will clear up any other issues others had posting to my blog as well....If you are having problems too, I highly recommend checking out the feed for the Blogger Buzz list of feeds for problems associated with commenting...Here is just one link that may help lead you in the right direction....http://www.nitecruzr.net/2008/03/does-your-computer-filter-cookies.html#comment-form

Unknown said...

Emma, I am really not ashamed per se for others FINISHING more KNITTING just that I joined YOP without really understanding the entire concept before jumping in...so I revamped how I am going about it....and made a partial list of things I am knitting and crocheting...LIKE EVERYONE ELSE...so that I feel that I am participating in the true spirit of what YOP means...this is what I mean...I accomplish a lot everyday...I wish it were more, but alas, I have one brain and 2 hands...not a great multitasker though I do try...and because I was focusing on more non-knitting things, I really didn't take the time to explore the YOP concept...but once I did...I got it...I hope to be a better participant...is all...thank you very much for ALL your encouragement...It is most appreciated!

Unknown said...

Mary,

Which items on my list are you needing to do? If there are any that you need help with, feel free to ask me for it...I love helping people...and I thank you for your comments...I hope you have a good day and thanks for stopping by....