While
the idea to create my version of a bucket list comes from many places
around the www...the final decision to make the attempt stems from my
desire to get my life organized.
Seeing
the results of many others successfully prioritizing and obtaining
goal completion has been truly inspirational. My approach, however,
will be a bit different. I will set 5 goals ahead at a time; of the
45 I wish to complete by my 45th birthday [being a little under 2
years away].
This
way, by breaking them down into smaller increments, I enhance my
ability to not take on too much at once and give myself every
opportunity to enjoy the steps of each process, allowing me to
concentrate my focus as they require and deserve. This is a better
way of equipping myself for the work that will be necessary to
accomplish them.
I
have given myself a deadline of 2 month windows to accomplish 3 to 5
of them. Setting another 5 before the deadline. This will help me
keep on track for the final goal of 45 completed by May 2, 2014.
My
hope is to ultimately be more productive on a daily basis and to get
a better working handle on meeting deadlines, something I have always
taken as loose interpretations of time in my past.
Having
met deadlines throughout my education, and especially before I left
university, I now realize that my time management skills have always
been very good and have just never applied them to personal aspects
of my life beyond necessary functions.
I
also realize there is absolutely no reason why I should let this
practice continue.
This
is just one way I can help fill my need to stretch my comfort zones.
My
list is as follows:
FORTY
FIVE by 45:
1.
Meet new people.
This
way I can get to know the local scene, enjoy events throughout the
county and increase my real world social network. This is a skill
that I am comfortable exercising but have not had many opportunities
to utilize in my new location.
In
my married past, it was a skill that I chose NOT to exercise as I
focused on taking care of my kids, and just living day to day. If I
met new people, great...but I didn't practice GOING OUT OF MY WAY to
do so.
This
is something I NEED to change within me. I believe it will help
me face the fear that people will reject me and remind me that after
all, people are still just people.
It
is my belief that everyone is worth knowing. I hope to test this new
found bravery of mine.
2.
Knit dishcloths from yarn stash to give as gifts.
I
inherited my 81 year old mother's yarn stash that has been reduced to
one storage bag full of several acrylics, baby blanket cottons, and a
few balls of old worsted wools in a variety of colors [some of these
would need serious creativity to make look good in a project].
My
mom, now having a touch of Parkinson's, can no longer hold needles to
knit, crochet, cross stitch or quilt and I hope to get many projects
done before I can no longer make the attempt due to my arthritis or
other chronic, debilitating medical conditions.
I
am fully aware that my completed projects will never match the sheer
number of ones my mother has produced over her lifetime, but I would
still like to try to make my mark as having given it my best shot.
My
passion for crafts of all kinds stems from learning how well my
mother would take a project in hand, organize her lists and then
watch her enjoy de-stressing from her days by hearing the click of
her needles, the sound of the sewing machine, or being present when
any other projects were finally complete.
Knowing
her heart was happy, I reveled with her in her satisfaction for a job
well done. I could always tell by the breathless smile that reached
her eyes and the instant lilt to her voice when asking my opinion on
the finished piece, that she was uplifted and transformed.
3.
Join and get to know my way around Ravelry.
For
a few years now, I have come across many people who have recommended
Ravelry to me; to help me accomplish my knitting projects and
increase my circle of needle arts and craft friends.
At
that time, I was just getting back into knitting for pleasure and
toying with the idea of blogging. I finally joined Ravelry last
July, during the most stressful part of what I thought would be the
final stages of the settlement of my divorce, [needless to say, we
are still just separated, as he has yet to take the final step of
actually filing the paperwork] The end result being that I am only
just now, beginning to surf the site and get to know my way around.
I
hope to read many interesting things, meet experienced crafters from
all walks of life and get my passions to work with me, instead of
against me.
4.
Organize my photos on my computer.
I
have not yet figured out a decent folder system for organizing my
photos on my computer. I used to be very accomplished at this and
just have not sat down and taken the time to straighten them all out.
I have Windows 7 on my laptop.
While
I agree it is a very comfortable and easily workable OS, not knowing
how to properly use the views for the folders have proven to be
fruitless for me within this environment.
I
have tried many different ways to view my libraries but for some
reason, they keep changing. I don't know how or why, but figure, by
troubleshooting just this one small aspect of Windows 7, I
will certainly succeed in obtaining this goal.
5.
Get to know my way around google+.
I
recently decided to expand my social network to include google+.
I joined last week and have created a couple new "circles"
but have not really gone back to explore anything more than the
photography expo that was going on last week in San Francisco. I hope
to get to expand even further my social network and hopefully see
interesting design ideas.
Photo
editing is just one of my many interests. I enjoy the different new
tools I have been discovering that will turn a simple photo into a
genuine work of art.
Eventual
tutorial completion, and access to new tools; to help me improve my
skill set; is my motivation for accomplishment of this goal.
These
are my first Five.
I
already have some of the first steps in place and hope to post some
updates on their progress through pictures. With my recent addition
of a new micro SDHC card for my Android phone and USB
multi-card reader, I now have greater chances of keeping my goal
progress current.
Please
join me on my journey and feel free to comment anytime. As stated
before, I welcome all constructive criticism, but have a zero
tolerance policy with regard to abuse of the commenting system. I
look forward to meeting you.
May
this find you all well in your universe.
Pink
Diva Brat

No comments:
Post a Comment