Powered By Blogger

Translate

50 Book Challenge from Library Thing!!

A few questions for you today....

As I sit here waiting on my package to arrive from KnitPicks with my new needles, I checked out some blogs I've been behind on reading, and have become inspired by Jules @ littlewoollie.blogspot.com to pause and reflect on my collection of children's literature and how best to organize it; and the rest; of my library [by subject, title, author of fiction and non, or by color]. I also wanted to check to see which ones remain after more than 40 years of collecting, and to answer one question she posed in one of her latest updates. Do you still read children's books?
The answer to this, for me, is a resounding YES! 
As the recipient of older siblings school primers, and from generous contributions by my grandparents; and older folks from church back then; my formative reading years included a simple but diverse collection. The ones I mention here are just a few, and are in no particular order, but I do include some of my favorite books of all time. 
This has also resulted in my decision to finally read and revisit some of the classics in both mom's and my collection that I missed, as I crochet a few Xmas projects from my list. 
But the first books that came to my mind when Jules asked the question, was the "Honey Bunch and Norman" books.
This series of books, written by Helen Louise Thorndyke [the remaining one I have, was published in 1958 by Grosset and Dunlap], was one of the first, and many, adventure books I enjoyed as a child. Sadly, mine [after much use from all the nieces, nephews, and great n's and n's], is missing a cover, and had a page that was scribbled on it in pencil [I erased it and it withstood the test. Still readable]. The title of it is "Ride With The Sky Mailman". The illustrations are in black and white, but I adore them...they remind me of how it felt to be just discovering the joys of reading and wanting to learn so much more from books.
The very first book that I remember reading back to my mom was "Little Bear", from the Little Bear Series, by Elsa Holmelund Minarik and Maurice Sendak, at the tender age of 3. I remember very clearly watching my mom's lips as she formed the words as she read. Yes, having a photographic memory helped tremendously, but I also remember thinking, as I read, how her lips and mouth had formed the sounds of the words, and was able to recognize the letters that formed simple words and repeating them, as I followed along with my fingers, just days after having it read to me for the first time. And then astonishing my sisters and new Sunday school teacher; who were the next people I chose to read the entire book to.
"Make Way for Ducklings" by Robert McCloskey, is a favorite. As is, "The Swiss Family Robinson", from the Illustrated Junior Library; written by Johann Wyss [edited by William H.G. Kingston and illustrated by Lynd Ward], it was published in 1949 by Grosset & Dunlap.
My copy of "Heidi", was published by Holt, Rinehart and Winston in 1961, as a third printing. Written by Johanna Spyri, [Introduction by Adeline B. Zachert, Former State Librarian, for the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania], and illustrated in both black and white and color, by Edward F. Cortese; it remains one of my most treasured possessions. 
I also have PART ONE of the "Reading for Independence" series of "The New Tall Tales", copyright dated 1959, by Scott, Foresman and Company. Given to me by one of my three older brothers, it contains stories like "Tom McGlee's Truck" by Margaret Ferguson, "Should You Believe a Mule?" by Kathryn Bilterman, and "Miss Prim's Savings" by Ardith Turner [It was edited by Marion Monroe and A. Sterl Artley with William S. Gray, as adviser]The bright and cheery illustrations of this book, by Connie Moran, opened my imagination to many new concepts [like the circus...which until that point in my life, I had never attended].
Though this book was a hand-me-down reading primer, it was THE first book I remember answering questions for after reading it, introducing me to how to relate with the characters and settings, and to express the emotions I experienced from its reading. And I remember doing this completely on my own; because I wanted to know more about what my siblings were learning all day in school. After reading this book, I thirsted for more and more. Which became an asset to me later; as I was able to jump 3 reading levels on the first day of first grade, After all, I had already learned how by age 4. There were only 2 other kids in the class who were able to do this too, and one of them was my best friend...I remember reading those stories to her, as we played with our dolls.
I also remember passing much of my collection on to my children, whether by reading to them, or letting them hang on to their favorites...
My package just arrived [paused to accept it], but I would like to continue this conversation a bit by posing some questions to you now... How old were you when you first discovered the joys of reading? Do you still read children's books? Which classics are included in your collection? Which are your treasures? Which one was your first, exciting adventure? How are your bookshelves organized? Do you have any tips, ideas or inspiring words that you could give me, to help motivate me to get my collection off my dining room floor and onto the shelves? 
I hope wherever you are today, in your multi-faceted universe, you take a few moments to reflect on which stories you lovingly had read to you or first remember reading, that inspired you to begin to explore more of the wonderful world of books. 
And as ever, may you all be just a bit more grateful today, as I am, for the person who sparked it within you.

Pink Diva Brat

No comments: