
I was going to start this update by writing out my frustrations about my current issues here at home, but have decided to NOT go into these details, simply because I just want to be HAPPY TODAY, and not let my worries worry you too...So, I will just stick to the FO FRIDAY update for those of you interested in only that [it comes first], and should you decide to finish this post, I hope you stick around long enough to leave me a comment, offer a solution, [if you have one], on how I may improve my blog or share any thoughts with me you may want to regarding this post...
I love hearing your comments, I find them encouraging and stimulating, and I look forward to them, every day. It is my hope, given enough time, that this little blog will increase in readership, and I want you to know now that I am a very patient woman, I consider myself very open to hearing anyone's ideas for how I can make YOUR experience here better for YOU...so please do drop me a line or two, even if its just to say hi, and let me know that I'm not just talking out of my butt here and to help me know someone is interested in what I have to say...
I was hoping to have Yung's beret completed by today, but alas, it is not to be, I finished the body of the beret...up to row 45, and now must transfer the work onto my DPNS, only I still don't have them in the US size 3, just yet...they are on back order and I am still awaiting their arrival. Hopefully, by next Sunday, I will be done, if not, be closer to being done; with Yung's beret...
While there may have only been a little progress made with the beret, I did get further along with the Spa Cloths. # 4 is now complete [ABOVE]...[man do I need photo editing practice or what]?...I couldn't get a better shot, I tried for a while...I apologize...
This spa cloth is done in, either seed or moss stitch, [the pattern was unclear which]...my first attempt at it...AND it is a very dark maroon yarn with flecks of other colors, [which I tried to get to show in the photo], but I ended up frogging it yesterday afternoon after I took my WIP WEDNESDAY shot of the cast on, because I quickly determined it just wasn't going to come out right at all...
The yarn is, of course, hard enough to work with because it IS dark, and as it was taking me about 15 seconds or so to get my hook under each of the alternating front and back sc loops, I decided to simply start over, being mindful to crochet with a looser hold than I am accustomed to, so that I could pleasantly discover it to no longer be a problem...On the second attempt, I was very pleased with the outcome, and was able to finish it off easily, as I listened to my newest discovery...
If you'd like to link up for WIP WEDNESDAY or FO FRIDAY click here and it will take you to Tami's Ami's so you can do so.... So back to my latest discovery...
Knitting Podcasts, YES, I've heard OF them, YES, I have, in fact, heard a few, NO, I don't have an MP3 player to enjoy them properly....I'm totally serious here...I don't own any Apple product more than ITunes..[I wish I did]...No IMac, no IPhone, no IPod, no I-anything, which probably makes me a very rare individual indeed...
I get by with my LG Android phone, [very basic], and my computer [which I use to listen to Internet Radio and free Podcasts as I knit and crochet]...
And as you all know, I HAVE been living under a ROCK.
In 2005, [when my MIL passed away], I literally crawled under a ROCK...and stayed there...until last year...as my marriage ended...So YES, my chronic disabilities kept me from my passions, [as well as my personal life], but this time, this also included not just one, but many, major losses in my life. The domino effect of when each occurred, made the entire ordeal spiral so totally out of control, that its a wonder I am still here, rather than just ending up severely depressed, for more than my any of my past depressed states lengths of time...
I have, however, come through this mid-life crisis, [at least, my idea of what it means] through nothing but my sheer will to survive, and by a return to my passions...All while boldly telling the world, just last year, that THE special place I always end up when creating, isn't to be touched by anyone..., and for me to honor it for what it is, simply by not allowing outside influences to take it from me ever again...
Hence the beginning of my blog...PDBKNCPLACE...I chose the name simply because I love the color Pink, I am usually made out to sound like a Diva, but mostly I am a Brat, and I KNIT and CROCHET...[seriously, that's how my blog got its name]...and it IS is my very special place that I come to share, with like-minded folk, all things crafty that I love...
As an advanced, beginner knitter and crocheter, as well as computer user, you would think I would be aware of more than most...But don't let that fool you AT ALL, because of THE overlong hiatus IN HELL...I REALLY lost touch, with a LOT!
Cast On is a Podcast, hosted by Brenda Dayne, that began the year I crawled under that rock [2005], and is, I have come to find; a woman after my own heart. She lives in a small home midst the wondrous Welsh countryside that she paints so eloquently with just her words [whether or not she still does, remains to be seen] and; until yesterday; has been well-known to many in the knitting community as a generous contributor to many knitty things, EXCEPT me... That is beginning to change...
After listening to her latest Podcast offering, [I'll just say the words Canada and tattoo], I immediately began listening to the rest of show, beginning with the first episode, and I must say...I really like what this woman has to say, not only because she is brave enough to GET a tattoo but because she is LIVING her life sort of like I am...
With some knitting regrets, but WITHOUT making excuses for why she loves her craft and why its important to who she is at the core.
The part I like best about her Podcasts is her ability to share her experiences in knitting and of her life...while laughing at herself for the mistakes she makes in both...Who better to laugh at you than yourself?...
And to know that her Podcast began kind of like my blog...with her wondering if anyone was listening....like I am currently wondering, [Is anyone reading?], just knowing this helps me realize that we all have to start somewhere......and I would just like to say boy am I glad I found her!!!..
[And this bit is for her], no matter anyone's politics, EVERYONE IS WORTH KNOWING....
This is sort of a motto of mine, one that I try to incorporate into my daily life...Haters [gonna hate!!!]...are brought into my daily life more than I want to admit, and I find, the best way to deal is to be a duck!!! [Water off its back]!
In one of Brenda's early Podcasts... she states that she is a Purist and only chooses to knit with natural yarns and fibers...Here's my bit of PDBKNC Philosophy on this subject...
Personally, I don't consider myself anything other than a knitter who knits for fun...one who believes the added benefits of stress relief and simple gift giving are just the icing on the cake to learning new skills that further my love of all things crafty, to lend myself and my creativity to any project I endeavor, all while enjoying the special time; that I set aside for me; to feel whole and complete...
Its as much a part of me as breathing is and, yes, is very important to me as I try to practice mindfulness, in whatever I attempt. I am usually very busy caught up in everything I do most of the time, that I simply don't take as much time as I should, to practice it..
And like many of you, it is only in this special place, that I find my balance, and from which I renew my ability to adapt to the harsher aspects of my life, the place I find every time I explore my creativity...
And for the most part, I consider myself lucky because, while it may seem easy to get to, I don't take it for granted that I will always find it, which in turn, helps me to face myself in the mirror, and for making the decisions I do on a daily basis, to choose to create or not...[and though, sometimesin knit or crochet, it may not always be possible], it is usually with as little regret as possible...
I find I use any yarn I can to complete any item I can...as long as it the type matches well to its intended purpose, I usually budget for the project, and I usually make any item with the following in mind at the outset...I won't put anything on the stix, without first asking myself the question, will this particular object be used to some degree, by the receiver, or by myself, as a result of my taking the time to knit or crochet it?
If I can answer this question positively, and be comfortable with it, and if there is no hesitation in my response, only then will I begin a project.
I start by researching its possible full costs...adjusting the approach I take with it, from a practical standpoint. From how the item will be used in the future..by whom...and whether or not my provision of it, is the best way to achieve its successful outcome....And yes I very often face self doubt as to whether a project's success is only achievable through my choice to undertake it. I am a firm believer in handmade items...I do indeed, feel that each of us put as much of ourselves into our projects, positive and negative, as we experience each items creation...and that for me, is reason alone to feel, each item is worth its weight in its in the blood, sweat and tears of any project I do that remains my main reason for doing them. Whether its to help someone else understand who I am at the time its being made, or for me, as a way for me to reconnect with who that particular me is at the time...
By comparison shopping and, setting up a budget for the item, [usually squirreling away money a bit here and there] I eventually make it... but not without trying to plan well for the total cost of the finished item, so if, in the interest of the item's best outcome, a higher supply cost is required; I can simply adjust the budget, and am not surprised by its bottom line...And I rarely find this practice to NOT work to my advantage in the end.
So that the final factor in my choosing whether or not I attempt a project...actually never is determined by its monetary cost...
This practice also helps take away any guilt I occasionally may feel for splurging for new tools, pricier yarn, new books, or taking a class that teaches me a technique necessary to complete the job...Online or otherwise....
If I need to pay more for any of whats needed, I prefer to work WITH the details, rather than against them.
I do my best to assume little and give myself as much clarity of knowing a projects total monetary cost long before I make any of my purchases final. This also contributes helps me put things in perspective when I may feel disillusioned when a project may turn on me.
I take pride in what I do, accepting its outcome, always, even if its a project that fails.
In so doing, I learn to appreciate that the choices rest entirely with me..giving no one, but me, reason to judge why I did or did not take the necessary steps to bring the project to its full and successful fruition...
After all...I will only get out of it...what I put into it...Is this something you also find you do?
I suppose I'm asking because I feel there is some method to my madness, and I am sharing it, so that others may commiserate with me on this...and....I'm simply curious...
I guess with me feeling philosophical today, I am asking, to try to answer many of the questions I have about the reasons why so many of us are passionate or artistic or create anything we do and what we think our motivations are for them. I also ask, to try to get you thinking, and secretly hope you will share what YOU think makes YOU tick....and why...
Am I off base when I say I think its important for all people who care about anything passionately, in any form, should share what knowledge we have come to know? I think its important to a) continue to build upon the traditional roots of learning to create, from someone we love, lending us to the collective and b) to help us celebrate our differences; so we can pass on what we know, so we can acknowledge and appreciate just how much we are basically the same?
I believe all of us can benefit from each other, within the confines of what we knowingly share, because only we have the power to pick what we know out of our heads for the world to see...This way we acknowledge them too for their real value and not just for what they can potentially be worth to us, in terms of cost.
I know when I do share my thoughts with others, it helps me to deal with some difficult situations or people I may experience, and to walk away with a better understanding of how I can help bridge any gaps in my understanding of many people, places, and situations I have only learned as a result from another's perspective....
Does any of what I am saying make some kind of sense to you? I really would like to know...and is the reason for my asking the following questions. An exercise...to come to know more of the generous nature of the helpful and caring knit and crochet community members that you are comprised of, that I am so recently re-discovering...and to offer a tidbit into how I tick as well...
- Are you a bit of a Purist in your knitting choices? [Thanks Brenda for making me mull this one over...]
- Do you only choose a specific kind of yarn for your projects?
- Which factors are most pertinent to the final choices you make regarding your projects and why? Aesthetics? Fun Factor? Variety? Spontaneity? Budget?
- Which factor is most crucial to your finaly choice and why?
- And..why do or don't you allow certain factors to play a part if any, in the final decision?
I look forward to your responses, each and every one, and hope you join in the conversation...I love getting comments and responding to them, they really do brighten my day as I venture on my continued journey to know enough to know, that I don't know enough, and probably never will... but still live with the hope that I can try to enjoy the ride....
May your disposition be as sunny as your smile and the weather in your universe be just the same....and I definitely hope wherever that special place in your universe is...that you find it happy and inviting enough to continue to create all you do...and that your day/evening be filled with many joys!
Pink Diva Brat


11 comments:
Lets see if i can answer some questions.
*Are you a bit of a Purist in your knitting choices?*
I don't think so, I knit what makes me happy, whatever that is.
*Do you only choose a specific kind of yarn for your projects?*
Not at all, unless it's charity knitting, where they specify only baby acrylic. I use yarn I like
*Which factors are most pertinent to the final choices you make regarding your projects and why? Aesthetics? Fun Factor? Variety? Spontaneity? Budget?*
I knit thing that I want, either I want to wear, I think will be fun to knit or that challenge me. I like insanely complicated cables and simple mindless repetative patterns, depending on what mood I'm in. The final look ofthe project plays a big part, though I also like mystery knits, seeing how things turn out.
*Which factor is most crucial to your final choice and why?*
It depends on who the project's for, what it's for and why I decided to make it
*And..why do or don't you allow certain factors to play a part if any, in the final decision?*
Price has to play a part in my decision, as I'm a student,but it never rules out a project, i just have to seriously consider if I can afford it.
So basically, there is not rhyme or reason as to why I choose a project. I knit because I enjoy it, so I choose projects I will enjoy!
Oh, and you asked about your blog, I do have one comment. It would be great if you could make the writing just a bit darker, because it can be quite hard to read on my screen! HTH!
While I agree to knitting what makes you happy, I too, decide the final by its purpose, my decision to make it and who it's for...thanks for you input and taking part in my q&a, again much appreciated that you take the time to stop by and read my blabberings...LOL...I was having problems getting back to the comment section earlier or I would have responded to this then...Blogger kept crashing on me...See you at your page!
Hi Caroline.
What a packed post! I'll pick up on one point, being a purist. I certainly can't deny being one. I don't knit socks so I don't need nylon, and I can't stand the feel of cotton yarn. Which puts me firmly in the animal fibre camp. And I also try to buy eco friendly and ethically sound, although that's not always possible if I want to avoid bankruptcy. Good question :D
And you asked for comments on blog improvements. Two things I hope will be helpful suggestions. When I click on your name in the comments on my Blogger blog (might be different on other platforms) I land on your Google+ page and there is no obvious route from there to your blog. I faffed about for a bit and found you - eventually realised your tag line might also be your blog title and used Google search - I'd guess a lot of folk don't go to that trouble and so never get here! (That or I'm just a dunce and am missing something obvious, which is not unknown!) You could maybe try setting up your commenting so it links straight here. And perhaps also try doing without comment moderation, which may be putting off the folk who do make it over here. I get a lot of traffic as you know but the Blogger spam filter deals with 99.9% of the spam, no problem. In my experience if you want folk to join in with the conversation you need to make it as easy for them as possible. Bloggers ten to take the line of least resistance. Hope that helps. Annie :D
Annie,
I really appreciate that you took time to stop by and faff around to find me...I had no idea that that particular problem was being encountered...I had turned off comment moderation but apparently when I finally got my commenting problem for myself straightened out...it reset or something...I actually went and got the WordPress widget last night...I am going to play around with it a bit, just to see what I can do with it, if its easier to figure out...I will export over...and I truly appreciate your kind comments...I am VERY new to blogging in general and was so happy to hear of your inclusion in the workshops...you are so very fortunate to have been chosen...I wish I could have been along enough of a blogger to join in the fun...I am so happy for you! One of the few valuable lessons my ex taught me was when I was learning to drive; about fear...because it was overcoming my ability to just get behind the wheel...He said and I quote, "You have just as much right to be out there as anyone else"...and I learned to do my best to apply that to ANYTHING that I feared...
Though we ended amicably and are still in dispute with details...I still remember that day...it was only after realizing this lesson that I was able to put myself on the road, especially the highways...and feel that I was the one in control...and I just want you to know...that with anything I fear...I usually keep it in mind...I am not afraid of criticisms anymore, I value the feedback I get because how else will I know how others understand me? Thanks again for reading my blog...My posts are usually long...I am a blabberer. I can't help myself...My blog is just as much about my wanting to record my life as it is about my readers...I do it because there is much in my life that I do that I like to revisit and to have it chronicled helps me to reconnect with the me I was at the time it was recorded. I hope you have a wonderful day, and I really appreciate your time and consideration....
Annie,
Wanted to let you know that I checked into both suggestions you mentioned...I hope both issues are resolved now...thanks again for your kindness...
Well I've popped back to see you no problem :D I found the link on your Google+ page straightaway (this is where you tell me it was there all along and I realise that I really am a dunce) and ...
... comments are going straight through :D
I was coming back because I realised I hadn't thanked you for your lovely comment on my last post which was very much appreciated, thank you :D
When I clicked on your name it took me to your google page, also, and I had trouble finding your blog. You might want to consider hitting the "g+ share" button after you create a post. That creates a post on your g+ page saying you updated your blog which is then easy to click and find from the google page.
As for your questions, I've been called a yarn snob by my friends before, but what I learned about myself is that I will complete a project faster if I absolutely adore the yarn I'm working with, so I need to use yarn that really inspires me. That usually means natural fibers and/or hand dyed skeins. HOWEVER, I like to give every yarn a fair try and different fibers have their uses, too.
Annie,
Sorry commenting late, was busy yesterday, and woke up today with sore throat, currently drinking hot earl grey tea with honey...to soothe it.
You are most welcome!
Thanks for coming back...
Annie,....
actually the site link was corrupted I guess, so I reentered it...you were right, it wasn't working...fixed now
...
sorry, in a fog!
Alicia,
I was gone all day yesterday, and woke up with sore throat after going to bed early...
recuperating and staying warm today while I work on exporting my blog to word press... blogger I just can't seem to get...too many questions with no answers for my taste...too much guesswork and problems...
Wish me luck,
As for being a yarn snob...I have been accused too, but I am not afraid to use whatever yarn I like, much of it for me is about color choice, unless a project calls for something specific...Like wool, for felting...I'm kept too busy doing things all the time that I don't get much time to procrastinate, my problem is having to prioritize the OTHER STUFF in my daily life that can wait a bit, so I can craft...
Post a Comment